Booking Your Boat’s Examination For A BSS Certificate
Thank you for choosing Marine Heating Solutions for your Boat Safety Scheme examination. We are fully registered with the BSS Scheme to carry out examinations on private boats. As we also are gas safe registered for LPG on boats, we are one of the few businesses allowed to issue certificates for any liveaboard boat. BSS examinations can be booked via email to email@example.com
When booking your BSS examination with us, please provide the following information:
- The boat owner’s name, address, email address, and mobile number.
- Name, type of boat, and registration number
- The mooring or location the examination will take place.
- If all onboard systems are functional and have no known faults or issues.
- Make us aware of any LPG powered engines.
Requirements and other important information:
- Please ensure that sufficient power, fuel, and LPG are available to test appliances.
- Please make sure that any engines and fuel-burning appliances which get hot during normal operation are off and cooled down for inspection.
- For boats with shoreline hookups, inverters, or electricity generators, we will need to disconnect any AC electricity supply before starting the examination. We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage, any incident or accident that may arise from undertaking the AC disconnection.
- For electric boats, ensure that the charging lead is available for examination.
- For steam-powered engines, please provide the inspection certificate and current insurance policy or certificate.
Boat Safety Examination For Vessels With LPG installations:
We are a Gas Safe registered business, with LPG and Boat qualifications. There could potentially be circumstances where we may identify additional safety-related LPG issues beyond the extent of the BSS Requirements. After we have completed the BSS examination, we may feel duty-bound under our Gas Safe registration to address any additional issues.
Boat Safety Certificate Costs
The cost of the Boat Safety Scheme examination is £185. This is payable on the day, by cash or card. If the boat fails the examination, further visits may be required at an additional cost. A 25% deposit is required when booking an appointment.
Re-tests are normally charged at half the price of the original examination. Call out travel charges apply as normal.
– Travel Charges
The call-out travel charge will depend on your location. There is no call-out charge if the boat comes to us, or if you are within 30 minutes drive.
– Payment Methods
We take payment for BSS examinations and Boat Safety Certificates by card or cash only. We need an internet capable phone signal to be able to take card payments. If there is no or intermittent signal where you are moored, please make sure you have cash ready.
– Issuing Boat Safety Certificates
We issue BSS Certificates as electronic PDF files. A customer report form will be issued on the day. This will give a rough overview of our findings, but this may not be a complete and detailed list.
Please make sure that the boat owner is present on the day and has plenty of time available. Boat safety examinations can take anything from 1 to 4 hours. Please make sure that all areas of the boat are freely accessible. As part of the examination, we will need your permission to take photographs of onboard systems and areas covered by the boat safety scheme requirements.