Booking Your Boat’s Examination For A BSS Certificate
Thank you for choosing Marine Heating Solutions for your Boat Safety Scheme examination. We are fully registered with the BSS Scheme to carry out examinations on private boats. As we are also gas safe registered for LPG on boats, we are one of the few businesses allowed to issue certificates for any liveaboard boat, and you won’t need a Bubble Tester.
BSS examinations can be booked via email to email@example.com
When booking your BSS examination with us, please provide the following information:
- The boat owner’s name, address, email address, and mobile number.
- Name, type of boat, and registration number
- The mooring or location the examination will take place.
- If all onboard systems are functional and have no known faults or issues.
- If there is LPG on board, is it Propane or Butane?
- Make us aware of any LPG-powered engines.
Requirements and other important information:
- Please ensure that sufficient power, fuel, and LPG are available to test appliances.
- Please make sure that any engines and fuel-burning appliances that get hot during normal operation are off and cooled down for inspection.
- For boats with shoreline hookups, inverters, or electricity generators, we will need to disconnect any AC electricity supply before starting the examination. We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage, any incident or accident that may arise from undertaking the AC disconnection.
- For electric boats, ensure that the charging lead is available for examination.
- For steam-powered engines, please provide the inspection certificate and current insurance policy or certificate.
Boat Safety Examination For Vessels With LPG installations:
We are a Gas Safe registered business, with LPG and Boat qualifications. There could potentially be circumstances where we may identify additional safety-related LPG issues beyond the extent of the BSS Requirements. After we have completed the BSS examination, we may feel duty-bound under our Gas Safe registration and gas safety legislation to address any additional issues.
Boat Safety Certificate Costs
The cost of a Boat Safety Scheme examination is £245. This is payable on the day, by cash or card. A £50 deposit is required when booking an appointment. If the boat fails the examination, further visits will be required at additional cost. Call-out travel charges apply as normal.
Re-tests are usually charged at half price unless there are a large number of faults. This would be decided on an individual basis. If a boat fails the BSS at the first Examination, the subsequent second Examination must be completed within 3 months of the first. After 3 months, it is a BSS Requirement for a complete full Examination to be carried out. This would then be charged at full price.
– Travel Charges
The call-out travel charge will depend on your location. There is no call-out charge within half an hour’s travel from our location, or if the boat comes to us.
– Payment Methods
We take payment for BSS examinations and Boat Safety Certificates by card or cash only. We need an internet-capable phone signal to be able to take card payments. If there is no or intermittent signal where you are moored, please make sure you have the correct cash ready. We do not carry change.
– Issuing Boat Safety Certificates
We issue BSS Certificates as electronic PDF files. A customer report form will be issued on the day. This will give a rough overview of our findings, but this may not be a complete and detailed list.
We recommend booking your boat’s BSS examination sometime before the current certificate expires. This will give you time to carry out repairs if needed.
Please make sure that the boat owner is present on the day and has plenty of time available. Boat safety examinations can take 1 to 4 hours to complete. Please make sure that all areas of the boat are freely accessible and be prepared to open up covers and fittings if needed. As part of the examination, we will need your permission to take photographs of onboard systems and areas covered by the boat safety scheme requirements.
Be aware that all boats are examined as presented and that we must record any faults and non-compliances as they are at the time of the examination. This is a condition of our Boat Safety Scheme registration and cannot be circumvented.
Repair work to correct any faults identified during the BSS examination can be carried out by anyone. We recommend using qualified professionals, and registered professionals where required by law. We’d be happy to provide a written estimate should you wish to contract us for repairs. However, the Boat Safety Scheme requires that we carry out repair works separately from any BSS examinations. We cannot carry out repairs in our role as BSS examiners and our role as maintenance and repair contractors would be completely separate. We would provide separate estimates and invoices. Any estimate or invoice items that do not clearly state “BSS” or “Boat Safety Scheme” should be considered as being separate from our role as BSS examiners.